SUBMISSION GUIDELINES for The Main Street Rag
Effective July, 2017, we will begin using SUBMITTABLE to process all magazine submissions. Basic guidelines are below, details for each genre will be posted on the Submittable page.
The following apply to ALL written submissions
- SUBMITTABLES charges a submission fee for everyone EXCEPT current subscribers to The Main Street Rag. Current subscribers to our quarterly literary magazine pay no reading fees for magazine submissions or book submissions while their subscriptions remain active.
- Report time: 3-16 weeks (depending on genre and how busy we are)
- Simultaneous submissions permitted as long as the author informs us immediately (through Submittable) when a piece has been accepted elsewhere.
- Previously Published material: NO (unless solicited by magazine editor).
- Author’s Name and PHYSICAL address must appear on submitted work. We will not read a submission that does not appear on the attachment and in the cover letter.
- New Submissions. Once an author’s work is accepted for publication, please wait until after it has been published to submit again.
- Submission period: We usually read year round for the literary magazine; however, with Submittable as a submissions processor reading periods for individual genres may vary and will be opened and closed at point of submission as necessary.
- NOT CURRENTLY READING FICTION due to backlog. Try us again after January 1, 2020.
- Need high resolution to print, but prefer low resolution to submit. If you don’t know the difference, you’re not ready to have your work published. Key guide: If an image is less than 100KB, it’s likely not suited for printing anything larger than a postage stamp.
- Format: JPG or PDF
- Portrait versus landscape orientation is best for printing without cropping.
- We like it all—no subject taboo—but if you are targeting cover art, we like people doing what they do, street scenes, a world in motion. Send us a picture we can hear and smell.
- Images should be emailed to email@example.com. It you have them displayed on a website, it’s even more convenient: You can email us your website address.
To avoid Submittable Fees (and support Main Street Rag): SUBSCRIBE TODAY