PURPOSE of this Page
As a small press, we cannot publish everything we are offered. No publisher can. The purpose of this page is to explain to potential suitors what we do and how we do it so no one’s time gets wasted. We have several labels and several ways we do business.
We specialize in perfect bound books also known as trade paperback, paperback or even soft cover. Because we don’t do hardback, coil, or saddle-stitch binding, we are not well suited for children’s books or cookbooks, so we don’t do those.
We also do not print books with internal color. This makes travel books or photo albums a little less of an option for us.
Aside from that, and with the exception of pornography, we do just about anything that can be printed in black and white and perfect bound in 12pt card stock.
As a production house, we print and bind books for other publishers, but that does not mean we will do anything that someone else is paying us to do. Top on that list is Print On Demand projects. Although we have some equipment in common with POD, it is not our method of choice and we are not interested in projects with print runs of less than 50 copies.
Main Street Rag
Strictly for poetry. We select manuscripts through contests, through recommendations from authors we’ve published, and through the submission options listed below. On average we publish between 60 and 90 poetry collections every year. It is the genre for which we are best known.
Mint Hill Books
Anthologies, creative nonfiction, memoirs, novellas, novels, short fiction collections. Our yearly target is 2-4 anthologies and as many as a dozen works of prose that fall into one of the other categories of prose.
PURE HEART PRESS is our self-publishing imprint. As such, we will publish nearly anything the author or editor is willing to pay for with the exception of the items already mentioned. We can do everything from set up to shipping on these projects. The difference between these and our primary imprints is that the author is responsible for the content, the cost of production and all the marketing (although we do offer marketing assistance for an additional fee).
We do not do as many self-published projects as we once did, but there is no time limitation as to when we will or will not consider and/or produce a self-published book. It has more to do with the author’s schedule and that of Main Street Rag projects already in progress.
BOOK Submission Guidelines — REVISED 6/27/17
General Submission Guidelines
- ALL book submissions must be made through Submittable
- WORD or RTF format–NO PDFs for book submissions.
- Word or page count is specific to genre.
- Reading periods may vary, but open submissions for books is usually May 1-June 15 and is subject to closing unannounced if we meet our quota for a specific genre. Submittable will only accept submissions when we are open for them.
- We’re sorry, but we are not able to consider manuscripts written by overseas authors (those who live outside the US).
- We will sometimes offer feedback, but authors should not expect it.
What we will consider:
- Chapbooks & Poetry Books: 28-40 pages (chapbook/$10 reading fee), 50-100 pages (full length/$15 reading fee)
- Essay/Creative Non-fiction: We do not do many non-fiction books and prefer to have a prior relationship with an author before considering one. Those who have been published in either our magazine or one of our anthologies would qualify as having a prior relationship. Length: 70-100K words. Send first three chapters, but no more than 20K words. If we want to see more, we’ll ask for it. Reading fee: $20
- Novellas: We define a Novella as a work of fiction between 25-50K words. Not interested in anything shorter than 25K words for book publication. Reading fee: $20
- Novels: We do not publish many novels and prefer to have a prior relationship with an author before considering a novel. Those who have been published in either our magazine or one of our anthologies would qualify as having a prior relationship. Length: 70-100K words (preferred). Send first three chapters, but no more than 20K words. If we want to see more, we’ll ask for it. Reading fee: $20
- Short Fiction Collections: Length minimum is 70K words. Send first three chapters/stories, but no more than 20K words. If we want to see more, we’ll ask for it. Reading fee: $20
FREE Reading Period: August 1 through September 1 (Starting in 2018).
What we’ll consider remains the same, however, only subscribers to The Main Street Rag are eligible to submit manuscripts during the Free Reading Period. Avoid Submittable Fees and support Main Street Rag: SUBSCRIBE TODAY