PURPOSE of this Page
As a small press, we cannot publish everything we are offered. No publisher can. The purpose of this page is to explain to potential suitors what we do and how we do it so no one’s time gets wasted. We have several labels and several ways we do business.
We specialize in perfect bound books also known as trade paperback, paperback or even soft cover. Because we don’t do hardback, coil, or saddle-stitch binding, we are not well suited for children’s books or cookbooks, so we don’t do those.
We also do not print books with internal color. This makes travel books or photo albums a little less of an option for us.
Aside from that, and with the exception of pornography, we do just about anything that can be printed in black and white and perfect bound in 12pt card stock.
As a production house, we print and bind books for other publishers, but that does not mean we will do anything that someone else is paying us to do. Top on that list is Print On Demand projects. Although we have some equipment in common with POD, it is not our method of choice and we are not interested in projects with print runs of less than 50 copies.
PURE HEART PRESS is our self-publishing imprint. As such, we will publish nearly anything the author or editor is willing to pay for with the exception of the items already mentioned. We can do everything from set up to shipping on these projects. The difference between these and our primary imprints is that the author is responsible for the content, the cost of production and all the marketing (although we do offer marketing assistance for an additional fee).
We do not do as many self-published projects as we once did, but there is no time limitation as to when we will or will not consider and/or produce a self-published book. It has more to do with the author’s schedule and that of Main Street Rag projects already in progress.
Main Street Rag
Strictly for poetry. We select manuscripts through contests, through recommendations from authors we’ve published, and through the submission options listed below. On average we publish between 60 and 90 poetry collections every year. It is the genre for which we are best known.
Mint Hill Books
Anthologies, creative nonfiction, memoirs, novellas, novels, short fiction collections. Our yearly target is 2-4 anthologies and as many as a dozen works of prose that fall into one of the other categories of prose.
General Submission Guidelines
- ALL book submissions must now be made via EMAIL to: email@example.com
- WORD or RTF format–NO PDFs for submissions.
- Word or page count is specific to genre
FREE Reading Period:
- Essay/Creative Non-fiction: May 1 through June 15. We do not do many non-fiction books and prefer to have a prior relationship with an author before considering one. Those who have been published in either our magazine or one of our anthologies would qualify as having a prior relationship. Length minimum is 70K words. Send first three chapters, but no more than 20K words. If we want to see more, we’ll ask for it.
- Novellas: Open submission May 1 through July 31. If you submit your novella during this time, we will consider it without charging a reading fee. We define a Novella as a work of fiction between 25-50K words. Not interested in anything shorter than 25K words for book publication.
- Novels: May 1 through June 30. We do not do many novels and prefer to have a prior relationship with an author before considering a novel. Those who have been published in either our magazine or one of our anthologies would qualify as having a prior relationship. Length minimum is 70K words. Send first three chapters, but no more than 20K words. If we want to see more, we’ll ask for it.
- Poetry Books & Chapbooks: May 1 through June 15. 28-40 pages (chapbook), 50-100 pages (full length)
- Short Fiction Collection: May 1 through June 30. Length minimum is 70K words. Send first three chapters/stories, but no more than 20K words. If we want to see more, we’ll ask for it.
Special note: Since we run contests at various times of year and offer publication to multiple authors through those, we can only offer publication for up to 5 poetry books/chapbooks and 5 fiction/non-fiction books submitted through this open reading period and we do not give feedback.
Those who do not want to wait until our next open submission can have their manuscripts evaluated for publication for a FEE.
Fee schedule as follows:
- Essay/Creative Non-fiction Collections: $20 reading fee for the first three stories or 20K words. (We publish very few of these.)
- Novellas: $35 reading fee
- Novels: (Inquire first–we rarely take a novel manuscript from an author we do not know.) $35 reading fee for the first three chapters or 20K words. If we like what we read, we’ll ask to see the rest.
- Poetry Books (on an 8.5 X 11 sheet, 40 lines to a sheet): $35 for up to 70 pages, $45 for over 70-100 pages. $60 for over 100-120 pages. We don’t consider poetry book manuscripts over 120 pages.
- Poetry Chapbooks (28-40 pages of poetry, no more than 40 lines to a page): $25
- Short Fiction Collections: $20 reading fee for the first three stories or 20K words. If we like what we read, we’ll ask to see the rest.
* * * * If you decide to pay the reading fee, please wait until a return email instructs you to email your manuscript. Also note: evaluation can take 6-8 weeks. We thank you for your patience. * * * *